Episode #19 of The Silent Comedy Watch Party will stream live on Sunday July 26, 2020 at 3 pm EDT. Co-hosts Steve Massa will introduce and Ben Model will live-accompany shorts starring Jane Bernoudy, Mabel Normand and Alice Howell.
The Silent Comedy Watch Party is presented for free, on YouTube.
Films scheduled for this episode:
THE HOLE IN THE WALL (1919) – starring Jane Bernoudy, with Bobby Vernon, Fred Ardath, Eddie Boland, Babe Nathan, Steve Murphy; dir. unknown; rel. October 10,1919 by the Nestor Film Co.; dist. Universal Pictures; 1 reel; preserved by the EYE Filmmuseum (Netherlands) from a 35mm original print; presented here courtesy of the EYE Filmmuseum; film is also available on the archive’s YouTube channel.
AT CONEY ISLAND (1912) – starring Mabel Normand, with Mack Sennett, Ford Sterling, Gus Pixley, Kenneth Casey, E. Vilip; dir. Mack Sennett; photo. Irvin Willat; rel. October 28, 1912 by the Keystone Film Co.; dist. Mutual Film Corp.; ½ reel; preserved by the EYE Filmmuseum (Netherlands) from a 35mm original print in the Jean Desmet Collection; presented here courtesy of EYE Filmmuseum; film is also available on the archive’s YouTube channel.
A LITTLE HERO (1913) – starring Mabel Normand, Pepper; dir. unknown; rel. May 8, 1913 by the Keystone Film Co.; dist. Mutual Film Corp.; ½ reel; preserved by the EYE Filmmuseum (Netherlands) from a 35mm print; presented here courtesy of the EYE Filmmuseum; film is available on the archive’s YouTube channel.
DISTILLED LOVE (1920) – starring Alice Howell, with Oliver Hardy, Dick Smith, Eunice Murdock, Eva McKenzie, Fay McKenzie, Lee Morris, Fay Holderness, Billy Bevan, Lee Morris, Rae Godfrey, Robert McKenzie, Charles Inslee, Theda Bray (mule); dir. Dick Smith & Vin Moore; rel. 1920 by the Reelcraft Film Corp.; presented in a restoration by the Library of Congress which utilized 2K digital scans of a 35mm print preserved by the Library of Congress, and of a 16mm print from the Henry Zorn collection at the Library of Congress; released on DVD by Undercrank Productions on The Alice Howell Collection (2019); available on Amazon.
Time Zone info:
- Pacific Time – 12 noon
- Mountain Time – 1 pm
- Central Time – 2 pm
- Eastern Time – 3 pm
- Argentina/Nova Scotia – 4 pm
- UK/England – 8 pm
- Europe/Scandinavia/Netherlands et al. – 9 pm (21:00)
- Eastern Australia – 3 am Monday
- Western Australia – 6 am Monday
- Japan (Tokyo) – 4am Monday
Where to watch the show:
The stream will go live on YouTube about 5-10 minutes before the show’s start time at 3:00 pm EDT on Sunday, July 26, 2020. Click the image below to go to Ben Model’s YouTube channel where you can subscribe and get an email notification about the stream link.
Make a donation to support the show:
The Silent Comedy Watch Party is presented free of charge. If you’d like to make a contribution to support the show, you may do so securely online:
- one-time donation on Square – or, if you do not have or do not wish to use a credit card, you can use PayPal. For Venmo, search for “@undercrank”
- donate automatically each time we do a live-stream – sign up on Patreon.
- if you prefer to mail a check, please contact us for the address
Mentioned on episode 19:
Ben Model & Steve Massa’s “cabin fever” recommendations:
- Weiss-O-Rama (Kit Parker Films, 2007); available on Oldies.com.
- Broncho Billy and the Essanay Film Company by David Kiehn (Farwell Books, 2003); available on Amazon.
- The Alice Howell Collection (Undercrank Productions, 2019); available on multiple online vendors worldwide including Amazon, the TCM Shop, Deep Discount, Critics’ Choice and more; info and buying links are here.
Links to shows and resources:
- 2020 Broncho Billy & Friends Silent Film Festival – June 24 to 26, 2020 presented online by the Niles Film Museum – program schedule and info are online here
- Aug 8 at 7:30 EDT – Buster Keaton in Three Ages (1923) – live-streamed & live-accompanied – presented by the Cleveland Institute of Arts’s Cinematheque, as a 34th anniversary online event – click here to purchase tickets ($10 gen. admission, $7 for CIA members and anyone under 25)
Stay informed about the shows:
- click here for The Silent Comedy Watch Party main web page for show info and links to previous episodes’ pages.
- Sign up for emails to get informatíon and reminders about the show
- Follow Ben Model on Twitter at @silentfilmmusic
- Subscribe to Ben Model’s blog (below):