Episode #18 of The Silent Comedy Watch Party will stream live on Sunday July 19, 2020 at 3 pm EDT. Co-hosts Steve Massa will introduce and Ben Model will live-accompany shorts starring Billy Franey, Marcel Perez, and Harold Lloyd.
The Silent Comedy Watch Party is presented for free, on YouTube.
Films scheduled for this episode:
THE WATER PLUG (1920) – starring Billy Franey, with Robert McKenzie, Silas Wilcox, George Jeske; dir. George Jeske; photo. George Ritcher; rel. May 1920 by Nat H. Spitzer; dist. Reelcraft Pictures Corporation; 1 reel; presented in an HD digital scan from a 16mm print courtesy of Ben Model; released on DVD by Undercrank Productions on Accidentally Preserved Vol. 1 (2012); available on Amazon.
ROBINET’S WHITE SUIT (L’ABITO BIANCO DI ROBINET, 1911) – starring Marcel Perez, with Ernesto Vasar; dir. Marcel Fabre (a.k.a. Marcel Perez); rel. 1911 by Societa Anonima Ambrosio of Turin; 1 reel: preserved by the EYE Filmmuseum (Netherlands) from a 35mm original print in the Jean Desmet Collection; presented in an HD digital scan courtesy of the EYE Filmmuseum; released on DVD by Undercrank Productions on The Marcel Perez Collection Vol. 1 (2015); available on Amazon.
NUMBER, PLEASE? (1920) – starring Harold Lloyd, with Mildred Davis, Roy Brooks, Noah Young, Sunshine Sammy Morrison, William Gillespie, Charles Stevenson, Wallace Howe, Fred Newmeyer, Mark Jones, Sammy Brooks; dir. Hal Roach & Fred Newmeyer; titles. H.M. Walker; photo. Walter Lundin; prod. Hal Roach; rel. December 26, 1920 by the Rolin Film Co.; dist. Pathe Exchange; 2 reels; presented courtesy of Harold Lloyd Entertainment and Suzanne Lloyd; released on the DVD The Harold Lloyd Comedy Collection Vols. 1-3 (2005), available on Amazon.
Time Zone info:
- Pacific Time – 12 noon
- Mountain Time – 1 pm
- Central Time – 2 pm
- Eastern Time – 3 pm
- Argentina/Nova Scotia – 4 pm
- UK/England – 8 pm
- Europe/Scandinavia/Netherlands et al. – 9 pm (21:00)
- Eastern Australia – 3 am Monday
- Western Australia – 6 am Monday
- Japan (Tokyo) – 4am Monday
Where to watch the show:
The stream will go live on YouTube about 5-10 minutes before the show’s start time at 3:00 pm EDT on Sunday, July 19, 2020. Click the image below to go to Ben Model’s YouTube channel where you can subscribe and get an email notification about the stream link.
Make a donation to support the show:
The Silent Comedy Watch Party is presented free of charge. If you’d like to make a contribution to support the show, you may do so securely online:
- one-time donation on Square – or, if you do not have or do not wish to use a credit card, you can use PayPal. For Venmo, search for “@undercrank”
- donate automatically each time we do a live-stream – sign up on Patreon.
- if you prefer to mail a check, please contact us for the address
Mentioned on episode 18:
Ben Model & Steve Massa’s “cabin fever” recommendations:
- Chain of Fools: Silent Comedy and Its Legacies from Nickelodeons to YouTube by Trav S. D. (BearManor Media, 2013); available on Amazon.
- The Kid Brother (1927) The Criterion Collection Blu-Ray and DVD (2019); available on Amazon.
- The Spider and the Fly illustrated by Tony DiTerlizzi, based on the 1829 poem by Mary Howitt (Simon and Schuster Books for Young Readers, 2002); available on Amazon and at other booksellers.
Links to shows and resources:
- Harold Lloyd in Grandma’s Boy (1922) – live-streamed & live-accompanied – presented by the Cinema Arts Centre on Weds, July 22 at 7pm EDT – click here to register
- Buster Keaton in Three Ages (1923) – live-streamed & live-accompanied – presented by the Cleveland Institute of Arts’s Cinematheque, as a 34th anniversary online event – click here to purchase tickets ($10 gen. admission, $7 for CIA members and anyone under 25)
- Google search for the “Hello Girls”
- 17 “Robinet” comedies with Marcel Perez on the EYE Filmmuseum’s YouTube channel
Stay informed about the shows:
- click here for The Silent Comedy Watch Party main web page for show info and links to previous episodes’ pages.
- Sign up for emails to get informatíon and reminders about the show
- Follow Ben Model on Twitter at @silentfilmmusic
- Subscribe to Ben Model’s blog (below):