Episode #16 of The Silent Comedy Watch Party will stream live on Sunday July 5, 2020 at 3 pm EDT. Co-hosts Steve Massa will introduce and Ben Model will live-accompany shorts starring Paul Parrott, Wanda Wiley and Buster Keaton.
The Silent Comedy Watch Party is presented for free, on YouTube.
Films scheduled for this episode:
SHINE ‘EM UP (1922) – starring Paul Parrott, with Eddie Baker, Jobyna Ralston, Gaylord Lloyd, William Gillespie, George Rowe, Marvin Loback, Mark Jones, Sammy Brooks; dir. James Davis; rel. November 5, 1922 by Hal Roach Comedies; dist. Pathé Exchange; 1 reel; presented courtesy of Serge Bromberg and Lobster Films, and sourced from the DVD The Charley Chase Collection: Vol. 2 (2005); available on Amazon.
A THRILLING ROMANCE (1926) – starring Wanda Wiley, with Earl McCarthy, Joe Bonner, Al Hallett; dir. Jess Robbins; scr. T. Page Wright; rel. July 14, 1926 by Century Comedies; dist. Universal Pictures; 2 reels; presented in an HD scan from a 35mm print courtesy of the Library of Congress; special thanks to Nelson Hughes.
THE SCARECROW (1920) – starring Buster Keaton, with Joe Roberts, Sybil Seely, Luke, Joe Keaton, Eddie Cline. dir. & writ. Buster Keaton & Eddie Cline; rel. December 22, 1920 by Joseph M. Schenck Productions; dist. Metro Pictures; 2 reels; the film is currently available in a new restoration by Lobster Films on the DVD/Blu-ray set from Kino Lorber, Buster Keaton: The Shorts Collection 1917–1923 (2016); available on Amazon.
Time Zone info:
- Pacific Time – 12 noon
- Mountain Time – 1 pm
- Central Time – 2 pm
- Eastern Time – 3 pm
- Argentina/Nova Scotia – 4 pm
- UK/England – 8 pm
- Europe/Scandinavia/Netherlands et al. – 9 pm (21:00)
- Eastern Australia – 3 am Monday
- Western Australia – 6 am Monday
- Japan (Tokyo) – 4am Monday
Where to watch the show:
The stream will go live on YouTube about 5-10 minutes before the show’s start time at 3:00 pm EDT on Sunday, July 5, 2020. Click the image below to go to Ben Model’s YouTube channel where you can subscribe and get an email notification about the stream link.
Make a donation to support the show:
The Silent Comedy Watch Party is presented free of charge. If you’d like to make a contribution to support the show, you may do so securely online:
- one-time donation on Square – or, if you do not have or do not wish to use a credit card, you can use PayPal. For Venmo, search for “@undercrank”
- donate automatically each time we do a live-stream – sign up on Patreon.
- if you prefer to mail a check, please contact us for the address
Stay informed about the shows:
- click here for The Silent Comedy Watch Party main web page for show info and links to previous episodes’ pages.
- Sign up for emails to get informatíon and reminders about the show
- Follow Ben Model on Twitter at @silentfilmmusic
- Subscribe to Ben Model’s blog (below):
Mentioned on episode 16:
Ben Model & Steve Massa’s “cabin fever” recommendations:
- Big Boy Shorts (1925–1927); available on Grapevine Video.
- Edgar Kennedy: Master of the Slow Burn by Bill Cassara (BearManor Media, 2005); available on Amazon.
- When Knighthood Was In Flower (1922), starring Marion Davies; available on DVD/Blu-ray from Undercrank Productions.
- John Bengston’s blog post about filming locations in Buster Keaton’s The Scarecrow (1920) can be read here.