Episode #09 of The Silent Comedy Watch Party will stream live on Sunday May 17, 2020 at 3pm EDT. Co-hosts Steve Massa will introduce and Ben Model will live-accompany shorts starring Glenn Tryon, Mr. & Mrs. Sidney Drew, and Roscoe “Fatty” Arbuckle.
The Silent Comedy Watch Party is presented for free, on YouTube.
Films scheduled for this episode:
WAGES OF TIN (1925) – starring Glenn Tryon, with Blanche Mehaffey, Noah Young, George Rowe, Billy Engle, Martin “Tonnage” Wolfkeil, James T. Kelly, Helen Gilmore, Jules Mendel; dir. Roy Clements; rel. January 4, 1925 by Hal Roach Comedies; dist: Pathé Exchange; 1 reel (originally 2); presented in an HD digital scan from a rare 9.5mm print courtesy of the USC Hugh M. Hefner Moving Image Archive and Dino Everett; released on DVD by Undercrank Productions on Accidentally Preserved Vol. 4; available on Amazon.
WANTED, A NURSE (1915) – starring Mr. & Mrs. Sidney Drew, with Courtlandt Van Dusen; dir. Sidney Drew; rel. January 22, 1915 by the Vitagraph Company; 1 reel; presented in an HD digital scan from a rare 16mm print courtesy of Robert Farr; released on DVD by Undercrank Productions on Accidentally Preserved Vol. 3; available on Amazon.
THE BUTCHER BOY (1917) – starring Roscoe “Fatty” Arbuckle, with Josephine Stevens, Buster Keaton, Al St. John, Agnes Neilson, Arthur Earle, Luke; dir. Roscoe Arbuckle; rel. April 23, 1917 by the Comique Film Corp.; dist: Paramount; 2 reels; presented courtesy of Serge Bromberg and Lobster Films; released on the DVD/Blu-ray Buster Keaton: The Shorts Collection 1917–1923; available on Amazon.
Time Zone info:
- Pacific Time – 12 noon
- Mountain Time – 1pm
- Central Time – 2pm
- Eastern Time – 3pm
- Argentina Time – 4pm
- UK/England – 8pm
- Europe/Scandinavia et al. – 9pm (21:00)
- Eastern Australia – 3am Monday
- Western Australia – 6am Monday
- Japan (Tokyo) – 4am Monday
Where to watch the show:
The stream will go live on YouTube about 5-10 minutes before the show’s start time at 3:00pm EDT on Sunday, May 17, 2020. Click the image below to go to Ben Model’s YouTube channel where you can subscribe and get an email notification about the stream link.
Make a donation to support the show:
The Silent Comedy Watch Party is presented free of charge. If you’d like to make a contribution to support the show, you may do so securely online:
- one-time donation on Square – or, if you do not have or do not wish to use a credit card, you can use PayPal. For Venmo, search for “@undercrank”
- donate automatically each time we do a live-stream – sign up on Patreon.
- if you prefer to mail a check, please contact us for the address
Stay informed about the shows:
- click here for The Silent Comedy Watch Party main web page for show info and links to previous episodes’ pages.
- Sign up for emails to get informatíon and reminders about the show
- Follow Ben Model on Twitter at @silentfilmmusic
- Subscribe to Ben Model’s blog (below):
Mentioned on episode 9:
Ben Model & Steve Massa’s “cabin fever” recommendations:
- Rediscovering Roscoe: The Films of “Fatty” Arbuckle by Steve Massa (BearManor Media, 2019); available on Amazon.
- How Did Lubitsch Do It? by Joseph McBride (Columbia University Press, 2018); available on Amazon.
- Lloyd Hamilton – Silent Comedian (D&D: Glass & Wyatt, 2017); available on Amazon.
- Movies Are Magic, by Jennifer Churchill (CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform 2008); available on Amazon.
- The Silent Film Music Podcast with Ben Model – episode 34.