Episode #05 of The Silent Comedy Watch Party will stream live on Sunday April 19, 2020 at 3pm EDT. Co-hosts Steve Massa will introduce and Ben Model will live-accompany shorts starring Harold Lloyd, Alice Howell and Marcel Perez.
The Silent Comedy Watch Party is presented for free, on YouTube.
Films scheduled for this episode:
HEY THERE (1918) – starring Harold Lloyd, with Bebe Daniels, Harry “Snub” Pollard; dir. Alfred Goulding; rel. April 28, 1918 by Rolin Films; 1 reel; presented here courtesy of AllDay Entertainment from their DVD set American Slapstick 2.
UNDER A SPELL (1925) – starring Alice Howell and Neely Edwards, with Bert Roach; dir. Richard Smith; rel. January 5, 1925 by Universal; 1 reel. Film element preserved by the Library of Congress; this edition presented here courtesy of Undercrank Productions, from the 2-disc DVD set The Alice Howell Collection.
SWEET DADDY (1921) – starring Marcel Perez; with Dorothy Earle, Wilna Hervey; dir. Marcel Perez; rel. 1921 by Schiller Productions. Preserved in 35mm by the Library of Congress; this edition presented courtesy of Undercrank Productions, from their DVD release The Marcel Perez Collection: Volume 1.
Time Zone info:
- Pacific Time – 12 noon
- Mountain Time – 1pm
- Central Time – 2pm
- Eastern Time – 3pm
- Argentina Time – 4pm
- UK/England – 8pm
- Europe/Scandinavia et al – 9pm (21:00)
- Eastern Australia – 3am Monday
- Western Australia – 6am Monday
- Japan (Tokyo) – 4am Monday
Where to watch the show:
The stream will go live on YouTube about 10 minutes before the show’s start time at 3:00pm EDT on Sunday, April 19, 2020. Click the image below to go to Ben Model’s YouTube channel where you can subscribe and get an email notification about the stream link.
Make a donation to support the show:
The Silent Comedy Watch Party is presented free of charge. If you’d like to make a contribution to support the show, you may do so securely online:
- one-time donation on Square – or, if you do not have or do not wish to use a credit card, you can use PayPal.
- donate automatically each time we do a live-stream – sign up on Patreon.
- The Silent Comedy Watch Party main web page with links to previous shows’ pages is here.
- Sign up for emails to get informatíon and reminders about the show
- Follow Ben Model on Twitter at @silentfilmmusic
- Subscribe to Ben Model’s blog (below):
Mentioned on episode 5:
Steve Massa’s “cabin fever” recommendations:
Books by Kevin Brownlow, available on Amazon
- The Parade’s Gone By (Knopf, 1968)
- The War, The West and the Wilderness (Knopf, 1969)
- Hollywood: The Pioneers (Knopf, 1979)
- Behind the Mask of Innocence (Knopf, 1990)
- David Lean (Cohen, 1996)
- The Search for Charlie Chaplin (Bologna, 2005)
Documentaries by Kevin Brownlown, available on Amazon
- Hollywood (1980) – streaming on Prime only
- Unknown Chaplin (1983)
- D.W. Griffith: Father of Film (1993)
- The Tramp and the Dictator (2002)
- Buster Keaton: A Hard Act to Follow (1987) – out of print (try eBay)
- Harold Lloyd: The Third Genius (1991) – out of print (try eBay)
- Cinema Europe: The Other Hollywood (1995) – out of print (try eBay)
- Cecil B. DeMille: An American Epic – out of print (try eBay)