Episode #80 – May 1, 2022
Episode #80 of The Silent Comedy Watch Party will stream live on Sunday May 1, 2022 at 3pm ET. Co-hosts Steve Massa will introduce and Ben Model will live-accompany shorts starring Larry Semon, Koko the Clown and Al St John.
The Silent Comedy Watch Party is presented for free, on YouTube.
*Daylight Savings Time began on Sunday, March 13 in the United States. Please note the time changes below under Time Zone Info.
THE SUITOR (1920) starring Larry Semon, with Lucille Carlisle, William McCall, Al Thompson, Frank “Fatty” Alexander, Bill Hauber, Blanche Payson; dir & writ. Larry Semon & Norman Taurog; rel. November 1, 1920 by the Vitagraph Film Co.; 2 reels; presented in a digital scan courtesy of Robert Arkus.
FLIES (1923) starring Koko the Clown, with Max Fleischer; rel. January 1923 by Out of the Inkwell Comedies; dist. M.J. Winkler; 1 reel; presented in a digital scan courtesy of Mauricio Alvarado and MaxFleischerCartoons.com.
STUPID BUT BRAVE (1924) starring Al St John, with Doris Deane, George Davis, “Kewpie” Morgan, Steve Murphy, Johnny Sinclair, Christine Francis, Eugene Palette, James Bryant, Chick Collins; dir & writ. Al St John (a.k.a. Roscoe “Fatty” Arbuckle); rel. October 26, 1924 by Reel Comedies, Inc.; dist. Educational Pictures; 2 reels; presented in digital scan from a 16mm print courtesy of Mark Heller.
Time Zone Info:
- Pacific Time – 12 noon
- Mountain Time – 1 pm
- Central Time – 2 pm
- Eastern Time – 3 pm
- Argentina/Nova Scotia – 4 pm
- UK/England – 8 pm
- Europe/Scandinavia/Netherlands et al. – 9 pm (21:00)
- Eastern Australia – 5 am Monday
- Western Australia – 3 am Monday
- Japan (Tokyo) – 4 am Monday
Where to watch the show:
The stream will go live on YouTube about 5-10 minutes before the show’s start time at 3:00 pm ET on Sunday, May 1, 2022. Click the image below to go to Ben Model’s YouTube channel where you can subscribe and get an email notification about the stream link.
Mentioned on episode:
Steve Massa and Ben Model’s “cabin fever” recommendations:
- City Lights dir. by Charlie Chaplin (1931) (Criterion Collection, 2016); available on Amazon.
- Camera Man: Buster Keaton, the Dawn of Cinema and the Invention of the Twentieth Century by Dana Stevens (Atria Books, 2022); available on Amazon.
Make a donation to support the show:
The Silent Comedy Watch Party is presented free of charge. If you’d like to make a contribution to support the show, you may do so securely online:
- one-time donation on Square or PayPal. For Venmo, search for “@undercrank”
- weekly donation – sign up with us on Patreon.
- For Venmo, search for @undercrank
- To mail a check, please contact us for the address
Silent Comedy Watch Party “merch”:
Now available: mugs, t-shirts, hoodies, totes and more with the Silent Comedy Watch Party logo! Visit the online shop to browse (scroll) and purchase now at bit.ly/scwp-merch.
Stay informed about the shows:
- Sign up for emails to get reminders about The Silent Comedy Watch Party shows and film listings.
- click here for The Silent Comedy Watch Party main web page for show info and links to previous episodes’ pages.
- Follow Ben Model on Twitter at @silentfilmmusic
This program is supported, in part, by public funds from the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs in partnership with the City Council.