Episode #57 – May 9, 2021
Episode #57 of The Silent Comedy Watch Party will stream live on Sunday May 9, 2021 at 3pm ET. Co-hosts Steve Massa will introduce and Ben Model will live accompany screenings of shorts starring Charley Chase, Raymond McKee and Mary Ann Jackson.
The Silent Comedy Watch Party is presented for free, on YouTube.
Films scheduled for this episode:
HELLO BABY! (1925) starring Charley Chase, with Katherine Grant, Al Hallett; dir. Leo McCarey; photo. Len Powers; rel. January 18, 1925 by Hal Roach Comedies; dist: Pathé Exchanges; 1 reel; presented courtesy of David Kalat and AllDay Entertainment from the 2009 DVD Becoming Charley Chase.
ALICE’S ORPHAN (1926) starring Margie Gay, with Julius, Oscar; dir. Walt Disney; prod. Margaret Winkler; rel. January 15, 1926 by Walt Disney Productions; dist: Margaret J. Winkler Prods.; 1 reel; presented in a digital scan from a 16mm print courtesy of Tommy Stathes.
SMITH’S BABY(1926) starring Raymond McKee and Mary Ann Jackson, with Ruth Hiatt, Sunshine Hart, Billy Gilbert, Bud Jamison, Jack Ackroyd, Joe Young, Budd Ross, Art Rowlands, Thelma Hill, Bobby Dunn, Eugenia Gilbert, Julia Griffith, Gordon Lewis, Andy Clyde, William McCall, Cap the dog; dir. Eddie Cline; story. Percy Heath & Vernon Smith; titles. Felix Adler & A. H. Giebler; photo. Vernon Walker; spec. photo. Ernie Crockett; rel. July 25, 1926 by Mack Sennett Comedies; dist. Pathé Exchanges; 2 reels; presented in a digital scan from a 16mm print courtesy of Richard Sheckman.
Time Zone info:
- Pacific Time – 12 noon
- Mountain Time – 1 pm
- Central Time – 2 pm
- Eastern Time – 3 pm
- Argentina/Nova Scotia – 4 pm
- UK/England – 8 pm
- Europe/Scandinavia/Netherlands et al. – 9 pm (20:00)
- Eastern Australia – 5 am Monday
- Western Australia – 3 am Monday
- Japan (Tokyo) – 4 am Monday
Where to watch the show:
The stream will go live on YouTube about 5-10 minutes before the show’s start time at 3:00 pm ET on Sunday, May 9, 2021. Click the image below to go to Ben Model’s YouTube channel where you can subscribe and get an email notification about the stream link.
Mentioned on episode 57:
Steve Massa and Ben Model’s “cabin fever” recommendations:
- George Melies: First Wizard of Cinema 1896 – 1913 (Flicker Alley, 2008); available on Amazon.
Make a donation to support the show:
The Silent Comedy Watch Party is presented free of charge. If you’d like to make a contribution to support the show, you may do so securely online:
- one-time donation on Square or PayPal. For Venmo, search for “@undercrank”
- weekly donation – sign up with us on Patreon.
- For Venmo, search for @undercrank
- To mail a check, please contact us for the address
Silent Comedy Watch Party “merch”:
Now available: mugs, t-shirts, hoodies, totes and more with the Silent Comedy Watch Party logo! Visit the online shop to browse (scroll) and purchase now at bit.ly/scwp-merch.
Stay informed about the shows:
- Sign up for emails to get reminders about The Silent Comedy Watch Party shows and film listings.
- click here for The Silent Comedy Watch Party main web page for show info and links to previous episodes’ pages.
- Follow Ben Model on Twitter at @silentfilmmusic
This program is supported, in part, by public funds from the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs in partnership with the City Council.