Episode 50 Show Notes: Serial Queens, Kovacs Music Videos, and the Charming Raymond Griffith
Live shows continue
- Few complete pre-1917 serials survive with all chapters
- Analogous to today’s serialized stories in streaming television
- Accompaniment focuses on tension and release – how to maintain variety?
- Piano vs. Theater organ – depends on the date of the film’s release
Excerpt #1: The President’s Special (MoMA June 2022)
Excerpt #2″ Filibus: The Mysterious Air Pirate (Cinema Arts Centre, Huntington, NY June 2022)
- “YOU CAN ALWAYS PLAY LESS!”
- More chamber orchestra, less percussion!
Progress on Ben’s book: The Silent Film Universe
Ernie Kovacs: Grandfather of the Music Video?
- “Sound Into Sight” – Video sketches rooted in music selections
- Ernie in Kovacsland, to be published by Fantagraphics – November 2022
- Ernie Kovacs Collection by Shout! Factory
- Surgeons / Firebird Suite (Stravinsky)
- Poker / Symphony No. 5 (Beethoven)
- Street Scene / Concerto for Orchestra (Bartok)
- Eating / Seven Beauties (Karayev)
- Bachianas Brasilieras (Villa-Lobos)
- Musical Office / Jalousie-Sentimental Journey (arranged by Esquivel)
- Story of a Drop of Water / Lt. Kije Suite (Prokofiev)
- Preparing for a Date / Concerto in F (Gershwin)
The action in these vignettes is not rooted in narrative, but are visualizations of the sound of the music itself.
Ernie as television director, calling the camera shots to the music
Cross-promotion for Nitrateville Radio Podcast Episode 88:
- Jon Mirsalis tells about finding and restoring the films found on Lon Chaney: Before the Thousand Faces
- Richard Simonton talks about preserving the Edward Everett Horton short comedies and many other Paramount films
Rediscovering and restoring Tom Mix
Back Pay and The Valley of Silent Men directed by Frank Borzage, restored and scored by Andrew Simpson