In the second half of this 2-parter, Ben Model recaps the past pandemic year: producing and releasing the Edward Everett Horton DVD set, a handful of DVD release projects in development, remembering MoMA’s Eileen Bowser, and looking toward the future of silent film live-streaming in 2022.
Episode 43 Show Notes:
- Announcement: Episodes 1 through 8 of the Silent Film Music Podcast will be reissued in the podcast feed.
- Discussion of the development of the Edward Everett Horton short comedy project; filming locations and thanks to Richard Simonton in connection with the films; getting to hear audience reaction to the films
- Musical Interlude: excerpt of Ben’s performance of The Kid Brother at The Linda, WAMC’s Performing Arts Studio on November 4, 2021.
- Ben’s blog series about The Language of Silent FIlm begins here. Will it become a book?
- Underwriting Announcement:Beauty’s Worth starring Marion Davies, on DVD by Undercrank Productions/Library of Congress in association with Ed Lorusso
- Upcoming release from Undercrank Productions/LIbrary of Congress: Zander The Great starring Marion Davies in association with Ed Lorusso; projects in development with Jon Mirsalis for early Lon Chaney films, with Kathy Fuller Seeely of The Craving starring Francis Ford, and with Andrew Simpson for Back Pay directed by Frank Borzage; shout-out to associate producer Crystal Kui for getting home video titles produced, including the video essay for Edward Everett Horton and making films available to the public
- Captain of Her Soul: The Life of Marion Davies by Lara Gabrielle, due from the University of California Press in late 2022
- Live events and venues hoped for in 2022: hoping for a Mostly Lost, The Silent Clowns Film Series in New York, Film Forum and MoMA with and without masks, Epsilon Spires in Brattleboro VT, Union County Performing Arts Center in Rahway NJ, the Cinema Arts Center, Huntington NY, and more…
- Ben’s innovation: The Silent Cine-Stream; live-accompanied classic silent features via live streaming (Watch for future announcements!)
- Upcoming virtual appearance: Slapstick Festival from Bristol, UK, 26 – 30 January 2022; Ben is presenting Horton comedies together with Steve Massa
- Musical interlude: The Cat and The Canary – Syracuse, NY, October 12, 2021 on a Wurlitzer theater organ at the New York State Fairgrounds
- Remembering Eileen Bowser; Silent Comedy Watch Party Episode 43 – 21 Jan 2021 with guest Ron Magliozzi; “A film restoration is not complete until it’s been shown to an audience.” And, we add, with live musical accompaniment!
- Kerr’s recommendations: Cartoon Carnival – a history of silent film animation; The Lost Laugh – free digital magazine about silent film comedy; Maryland Symphony Orchestra accompanies silent comedies, 2-3 April 2021